Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Dev Blog 92 - Cutting levels 6, 8

I spent a few hours re-cutting level 8 (in-between debugging the equip code). Boy oh boy did that go awry. The original level 8 wasn't very good, a few notes were mis-timed and the gameplay wasn't very exciting. So I re-cut the parts that were mistimed, and I don't know what I did but it broke the latter half of the whole level.

I ran my automated suite of tools for building the levels just as I always do (and just as I did when I re-cut levels 4 & 5) but somehow Notes 78-90 got mixed up, and placed all over the level, completely out of position and mis-timed. I tried resetting and starting over a few times to no avail.

So this brings me to a tough decision. Release is Thursday. No chance I'm pushing it back, because I've already pushed it back weeks (and I leave the country Thursday night to see family). If I cut the level from release entirely, that leaves me with 19 levels. I don't like the odd number much, and I still have to redo level 6 tomorrow. I'm thinking if level 6 is even remotely a pain in the ass, I'll cut that from release too so it's an even 18 levels upon release.

If I do decide to take this course of action (the decision will come tomorrow night) I plan on re-cutting these 2 levels at some point, and adding them to release later down the line for free. The music and art for these levels are too awesome not to have in the game, it sucks to have to even consider cutting them, but time is a finite resource unfortunately. With release impending, and after working from 8am to 11pm today, I don't have much more of it to spare.

Update 1 @ Midnight: So the workaround I wrote about in the last update of Dev Blog #91 didn't fix everything, but it did give me a small clue. Just wrote some more debug code to see if the insight the workaround gave me is correct - if so I have a fix in mind. Bedtime for now, will see the results in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment