Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Dev Blog 93 - Last day of development

Today's the last day of serious-crunch-time-development, I plan on spending all of tomorrow running builds, uploading the release versions across multiple websites, and getting the word out. Speaking of which, keep an eye out! Chromacore will be available on IndieCity, itch.io, and the the Bundle Bandit  soon after release.

So, on the last day, what is there to do?

Well, first and foremost fixing the equip bugs. The insight I wrote about last night wasn't correct - I thought perhaps an Update( ) function was failing to run every frame, but that wasn't the case. However, after proving the Update function did run every frame via Time.timeSinceLevelLoad, that actually gave me a clue for a potential fix, which I pushed this morning and will test soon.

Next, implementing some last minute artwork I got this morning.

Next, re-cutting level 6 (or cutting it entirely).

Lastly, cleaning out the project. Deleting old/unused files to reduce file size.

Other than the bug fixes, all of this is straightforward and should be done within an hour or two. I also moved some of the levels around this morning, I switched levels 2 and 4, as well as 3 and 7. Level 4 is a pretty great exemplification of Chromacore's gameplay, and I felt it should be the very next level players try after the tutorial.

Excited for release tomorrow, but fairly nervous about getting the shop bugs fixed in time. I might need to disable the in-game shop and enable it sometime after release once it's fixed. If that's the case I'll probably scrap everything I have and re-write all the code from scratch. It would suck to have to do this, since I pushed back the release date and worked my ass off the past 2 weeks specifically to get an in-game shop done.

Update 1 @ 3PM: All of the straightforward stuff is done - new art added, old files deleted, level 6 and 8 have been cut.

Still working on a the equip bug fix, pretty much the last thing I need to do to be release-ready.

Update 2 @ 8:30PM: Still working on the bug fix, I'm making headway on it. Spent some time contacting dozens of press and youtubers about release. Also fixed up level 20's background transitions, they weren't working properly.

Update 3 @ 10:30PM: Just pushed another update with more debugging code. I've made the decision, I'm going to make a backup of the in-game code and then scrap all of it and re-write everything. I originally wrote this code during the tail-end of an all nighter, so I must have done something wrong that I'm not seeing now. I'll use this last update to better understand what wasn't working (hopefully) and use that to write it better and write it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment