Sunday, July 6, 2014

Dev Blog 7 - Features, Redesign

Today I implemented a few more features, and come across an interesting design decision.

So I had moving platforms in both X & Y directions, and I thought to myself "When is the Y direction platform ever going to be useful? The levels themselves are very short and small, so trying to squeeze a Y direction  platform into a level won't create any interesting gameplay or challenge".

But why waste good code? I decided these Y direction platforms would be better suited as obstacles, rather than means of transportation (though one could definitely interpret a moving platform as an obstacle, not the point here). I decided to re-purpose these platforms into the classic "crusher" obstacle - a big thing that moves down to smush the player, moves back up to it's resting position, and comes crashing down again. That I can definitely fit into these smaller levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment