Friday, February 7, 2014

Dev Blog 21 - Level Up!

Met with my professor, academic adviser, and the dean of my college to finalize the details of my independent study! Soon the credits will be officially on the books.

Today I continued working on Level 2 - I realized that the automatic note placement wasn't working properly, and discovered that the Notes List and Notes Array wasn't being sorted correctly. It was being sorted quasi-alphabetically (since that's what the built-in List.Sort() does) instead of naturally numerically.
So elements in the list were incorrectly sorted as "0, 1, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 21, 22, 23, 24, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7" instead of simply "0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....etc"

After fixing this sorting issue, the Notes still sounded "off" by a little over 1 second, I think due to improper timestamp labeling. Sent a message to Korbin for some insight - he timestamped mp3 files that worked perfectly fine with my auto-placement algorithm, will see if there's a specific way of doing this (I simply timestamped based on the time shown in FL studio).

I very much like the song I created and think it lends itself to designing an interesting level, can't wait to have it working! I'm off to Hackbeanpot in an hour or so, hopefully the timestamp problem will be clarified over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment