Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Dev Blog 43 - Iterate Iterate Iterate

Implementing feedback throughout the day, so far I've replaced swipe to pause with a GUI button for mobile platforms to improve the usability of the pause function, and improved the GUI button styles across the board.

More updates to come throughout the day!

Update 1 @ 3PM: Replaced the 2 finger tap to punch functionality with a GUI button on mobile only, again to improve usability.

Update 2 @ 5PM: Wrote up some documentation of all the Level Design method's I've come up with to challenge and intrigue players. This documentation was requested by Casper, but will also be invaluable when gauging and charting difficulty to make sure it increases with each level, and will also help identify problem areas when user testing. Only 2 more items left on the feedback todo list!

Update 3 @ 7PM: While testing the new pause and punch buttons, I noticed the beginning of Level 5's level design felt a little boring and too similar to earlier levels. Spent some time re-doing it.

Update 4 @ 10PM: Few things; the last item left on the todo list is a big ticket issue. Redoing the respawning to make it more fun will take some more than slapping some code into MonoDevelop. I'm going to take my time and design a few ideas for this first.

In the meantime, I resolve a low priority ticket (refactoring Level string names to numerical values for easyness) and begun implementing Level 7. I realized that Milestone 4 is due in 4 days, and I'm expecting myself to have levels 6-10 done. I'm going to take a stab at getting these done on time, and taking my time with redoing the respawns.

Update 5 @ 11:08PM: Just implemented Level 7, used the automated tools to get all the Notes created with the proper assignments and x positions. Haven't done any level design yet, but it's a start. I also noticed that the default level (that I use to build new levels on top of, instead of creating them from complete scratch) is a little outdated, so I created a ticket to update that little guy. I've got a big interview with <redacted> (a big game company that will have me sign an NDA) so I'm calling it an early night. I'm excited to give it my all on getting 4 levels done in the next 3 days =)

No comments:

Post a Comment